17 January 2022

Tortilis - Day 2 PM

The journey back to camp for lunch produced a few different birds.

Yellow-throated Longclaw


Long-tailed Fiscal Shrike


Yellow-necked Spur Fowl


Rosy Patched Shrike


I had a quick check of the waterhole by our tent, but only this handsome pair of Impala was there.  


As there were so few of us in camp (about 10 out of a possible 36-40) instead of the usual buffet lunch, each table had its own mini taster menu brought to the table.  I'm not entirely convinced they grasped my "no red meat" request as both lamb and beef featured, but this was soon rectified and a piece of chicken appeared - I never really mind too much as there is usually something I can eat, but having been asked in advance ..............  

This cheeky Superb Starling hangs around the eating area at lunchtime hoping to snatch a few scraps and frequently does.  


The table decoration was a Baobab trade made from raffia or something similar.
 

Sharp eyed Ian spotted these two yellow winged bats in the rafters just above us.  We were surprised to see them awake at lunchtime, although it did look like they were mating.  By hanging over the balcony I was able to get this grab shot.


And was glad I did as when I walked round for an easier angle one of the bats had already flown.

We had a couple of hour's downtime after lunch which gave Ian a chance for a snooze and me the opportunity to back-up some of my photos.  When we left the tent about 1545 for the afternoon drive, the trees around us were just alive with birds.  The photos are rubbish as it was rather a dark spot, but they are clear enough to "tick-off" the species (if we've correctly identified them)

Rufous-Tailed Weaver


Southern Black Flycatcher


Scarlet Chested Sunbird


Speke's Weaver


Speckled Mousebird (out of focus and clipped tail but the only one I have)


Beautiful Sunbird


Van der Deckens Hornbill f.

And finally, way up in the sky on the end of a tall, dead tree and looking the other way I saw my favourite bird of all - Lilac Breasted Roller.  For a laugh I've not cropped this as I really hope I will get a closer, better picture.

Then we off out to play with the elephants again, just being in the company of these magnificent animals never fails to thrill us.   Unfortunately the sky was very overcast and the lighting rather "flat" but of course that didn't stop me taking several 100 more photos. 





As well we being known for large herds, Amboseli is also known for producing large tuskers; this lovely lady had lost half of her right one and unfortunately they don't regrow.


I love the way the little ones seem unable to control their trunks (or their ears sometimes).


These two looked quite serious at first, but I think it was just "handbags"



Oh how I wish the baby on the left was doing the same (and of course that the large body on the left wasn't in the frame!)


It's truly special when you feel the trust the elephant has placed in you, when she knows you will not harm what is most precious to her - her baby - and so she chooses to walk towards you. 




I should really stop there with the photos but I thought I'd chuck this one, in even though it was taken late in the day and is very noisy - definitely a candidate for my Arses of Africa book despite one of the Thompson's Gazelles not being on message.


As I said when we first met him, Dickson is a very personable young man and when we sang his praises to Graeme (Camp Manager) he had told us that he'd once been a taxi driver in Nairobi - a somewhat unusual start for an accomplished safari guide.  So over our sundowner tonight I asked him if he'd mind telling us a bit about himself and how he got to Tortilis; it’s quite a story.

Dickson came from a poor family and lived an hour or so outside Nairobi.  Aged 13 he got a young girl pregnant, his parents practically disowned him and he went to live with his grandparents who helped him to finish school.  He then went to Nairobi to find work and whilst taxi driving bumped into a lady Government minister who felt he was wasted driving taxis and offered to finance him through Guiding School (something he'd wanted to do all his life).  Unfortunately she died after just 1 term and he also lost his job at the taxi firm so he was back to square one.  But a friend lent him a car and he was able to complete his guiding course whilst working as a driver.  By chance he drove one of the directors of Cheli & Peacock who owned Tortilis at that time and once again there was something about him which shone out and he was offered a job at Tortilis.  That was 8 or so years ago and where he ended his story.

Being nosy, I asked what happened to his child, did he ever see it again.  This is what he told us:-

Unbeknown to him, his mother had supported the child's mother in bringing it up and, when she was aged 13, he met his daughter for the first time.  What is so lovely is that he went on to marry the mother and have two more children.  His eldest is now studying biochemistry at University (motivated by the death of his mother from breast cancer aged only 48).

I have to agree with those who helped him, there is something quite special about Dickson.