20 January 2022

Kichiche Laikipia - Day 2 PM

Another delicious lunch, on our own this time, overlooking the waterhole and watching this visit from a massive buffalo herd.

The game drive was very, very quiet; we saw this pair of Black Rhino (I think) seemingly squaring up to each other and we waited with baited breath, quite a way back for obvious reason, for something "exciting" to happen.  


Nothing much did happen although this one displayed rather unusual behaviour of sniffing the air.  They are very, very poor sighted and he could maybe smell us as well as his potential adversary.




Then blow me down a couple of White Rhinos head butting.  It sounds as though I want these fabulous creatures to fight, I really don't, but I do want to try and find something a little more interesting to photograph.






An LBR, in focus and with something in its beak, looks like a moth.


Hurrah, bird in flight and in focus.



Crowned Hornbill (another first sighting this holiday)


We've seen very few Secretary Birds this holiday and this one was roosting for the night but well in the distance.


It was rather an overcast afternoon and we drove around, rather aimlessly I felt, looking for lion.   As I've already said, Peter is more or less on his own out here and it is a huge conservancy, approx 364sqkm (as opposed to the Olare Motorogi on the Mara which is a mere 133sqkm).   

But I'm slightly concerned I may have lost a load of images - surely it wasn't that quiet!

We were on our own for dinner but Louise stood around talking with us for most of the time.  She's very nice and certainly can talk the proverbial off a donkey.  She's Kenyan but went to university in England and her son is currently in the Household Cavalry, although apparently not enjoying himself.