16 January 2022

Amboseli Airstrip to Tortilis

A few other sightings on the way to camp.

My first attempt at a Sacred Ibis in flight didn't go too well, but I'm pleased that the bit I did manage to capture was at least in focus.


At least when they stand still I have a fighting chance.


Yellow Wagtail


Blacksmith Plover - the name derives from the repeated metallic 'tink tink tink' alarm call which suggests a blacksmith's hammer hitting an anvil.


Egret


Egret taking off.


And I successfully tracked it for 9 frames, all in focus - unheard of!


Black Winged Stilt


Hadada Ibis


We reluctantly left the wetland area and headed toward camp.  In the sky ahead was a squadron of pelicans.  


We hung around hoping they'd land but they just kept circling, their wings glinting in the sun.


These two egrets were hitching a ride on this lone, presumably adult male, elephant.



I still prefer Reticulated Giraffe; the markings on these Masai ones are too untidy for me.


I find Wildebeest hard to photograph as a) they usually turn tail and run as soon as the truck gets near and b) their faces are so dark it's hard to see their features - this one I'm quite pleased with.


This little Thompson's Gazelle seemed to be all on its own and we watched it running around for ages.


Until Mum finally turned up.


Grey Crowned Crane


Isabelline Wheatear


We then bumped into a herd of elephant with a couple of very cute youngsters.  It looked like they'd all been wallowing in mud quite recently.




Then some equally cute baby baboons.




Shortly after we met this Mum and calf.  



The eyes of an elephant aren't usually easy to see, but this little one seemed to have huge ones.



And huge ears too.


And finally, cuteness overload.





And all this just between the airstrip and camp - I think I need to pinch myself!