19 January 2022

Kicheche Laikipia - Day 1 PM

We wandered down to the mess tent about 1545 in time for a cuppa before we headed off with Peter about 1600.  As before we told him we were open for anything and everything he had to show us.

Mount Kenya in the distance


Coke's Hartebeest (not a particularly good photo but the only one I have).


At last, a reasonable picture of a Lilac Breasted Roller.


And one I am more than happy with as it shows the wonderful colouring.


Superb Starling with what I thought at first glance was a cricket or something, but it's just nesting material.


Fork Tailed Drongo


Mountain Reedbuck which I don't think we've seen before.


No comment necessary!


Eland are the largest of all antelopes and amazingly can jump 7' high should the need arise.  Its dewlap reminds me of a wrap over coat and its purpose is to help regulate heat.


This male seems to carry his own supply of flies as well as the oxpeckers.


This is the first time we've seen a Kori Bustard displaying, even though it was the back view as usual.


It did turn a bit for me but not a good shot.


For once this Pumba didn't run off, but stared defiantly at us for ages.


I'm sure I must have already posted a Yellow Necked Spurfowl but I can't find where.


Silver-backed Jackal, again.  Such handsome creatures and they always seem very bold.


And now for more Elephant photos; some good, some bad - but all irresistible to me!   



Mount Kenya in the distance.  The elephants on the left are drinking from a concrete water trough left over from the days when the land was used exclusively for raising cattle.


Despite the perspective of these next two shots, I hadn't been allowed out of the truck again (unfortunately).





Just so cute.


I just adore this family portrait, with the baby's trunk in the ground


Framed by bottoms



Look at this one's left tusk - completely straight.  Peter said it was very, very usual but probably genetic.


I desperately wanted these elephants to be in a different order but, despite waiting ages for the one at the back to overtake, it never did.


So I gave it a helping hand and satisfied my OCD.


Heading home for the night.


One of the things I instantly loved about Ol Pejeta was the wide open expanses, big skies and now the glorious, golden, evening light.  Nothing much of a photo but it kind of sums this place up for me.


After a wonderful time watching the elephants, Peter announced it was sundowner time.  He really is a nice guy, with a very infections laugh.


If I'm going to be photographed at least I can put a filter or two on it.


Whilst it's nice to seemingly have the whole conservancy to ourselves and not see any other trucks around, one of the downsides about camps being half empty is that there are no other guides around to share their sightings over the radio.  Peter was reliant upon his own instincts and the conservancy rangers and after our sundowner we went in search of lion.  We'd spent ages driving around over seemingly impossible terrain and just as we were ready to give up we heard a mighty roar - LION - Peter was then on a mission to find it and eventually he did, although a little late for decent light/photography.

And as usual he was rather sleepy.


Shutter speed too slow but I've kept it anyway


Downward Lion


What a magnificent mane he has.


There is no feeling like a male lion looking directly at you (or through you as it often seems) so despite the awful image, I've included it.


An amazing end to a lovely afternoon.

Dinner was again on separate tables but inside the main mess area and the tables were spaced so we faced the others and could easily converse.  Louise didn't eat with us but stood around and joined in the conversations.  You can't see them clear on this iphone picture but the Guinea Fowl candle holders were terrific and I wished she sold them in the little gift shop.